Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sights to see

Yesterday was filled with several hours at school, followed by a trip to the center of the city for a sort of cultural concert. It seems several local government workers were being honored for their efforts, and in between announcing names and giving out certificates accompanied by red carnations, there was dancing, singing, and even an orchestra. Ivgeniia, my contact teacher at Gymnasium 18, was one of the dancers. I was accompanied by Olga and Ilya.
The festivities were colorful, cheery, and loud.
Afterwards, as ever, the ladies accompanied me back to the hotel, with a stop first at a local market, where I bought my provisions for breakfast; some green tea, some yogurt, and a couple pastries. They then walked me to the hotel, where they informed the restaurant staff I would not be dining in, and left me. I spent the rest of the night updating on the internet, watching Ukrainian television and reading Anna Reid's fascinating history of Ukraine, "Borderlands."
Today I am to accompany Ivgeniia and Gollia to a local castle, do some souvenir shopping, then have dinner with Svitlana and her family. Svitlana is the chair of the English department at the school. Her husband doesn't speak English, but her daughter does, so I should be able to communicate just fine.
Am going to try and attach a couple photos here before signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment