Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eastern Horizon

Off to the Ukraine in a week, where I'll be reading and writing with mostly middle school students in a school in Lutsk. In the west, the town is staunchly Ukrainian, I hear, unlike its western cousins who are more likely to be pro Russian. After the recent election, however, the entire country might be undergoing a Russian revolution. I will be there two weeks, speaking to students and working with teachers of English. I've been reading Borderlands by Anna Reid for some background. A history of Ukraine, the book winds back to the Cossack period and before, eventually wending forward to the late 20th century.
I'm also slowly working into Taras Bulba by Gogol, as he's the West's version of a Ukrainian classic. This might be more of a plane read, as I've not made it deep into the story as of yet.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment