Thursday, March 18, 2010

Eastern Rising

Finally updating from Lutsk, Ukraine. Have been struggling with internet troubles, but they seem to be okay at the moment. The trip in was long and tiring. Pellston to Detroit, to Amsterdam, to Kiev, then Lviv, and finally Lutsk. The trip took some 30 hours with three time changes and daylight changing to darkness, then back through the entire cycle. I am now a phenomenon at Gymnasium 18, where students greet me with part wonder, part awe, and part disinterest. The staff has been incredibly warm, and each day a new teacher becomes my guide. I have been to the bank with one, the supermarket with another, and today to an art museum with two more. I am living in a small hotel that looks more like an office building, but is literally a 200 meter walk from the school.
Each day lunch at school consists of soup, bread, meat, pasta, and cabbage salad of some type. The head of the canteen thought I didn't like her food because I didn't eat it all the first day I was there, but there was simply too much. I have made peace with her now.
My hotel room is small, but comfortable. The television didn't work the first three days, so I read and listened to Ukrainian radio. Music is soothing whatever the language.
Tomorrow more school, more culture, and hopefully more internet coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment