Friday, August 21, 2009

Browsing History

Book lovers are also necessarily bookstore lovers. My two favorites have long been The Island Bookstore on Mackinac Island and McLean and Eakin in Petoskey. That I live in these two locations has seen me visit these two outlets far more than any others.
A good bookstore should have a knowledgeable staff, a varied selection, and a purpose. The de facto purpose of these two notable shops is to offer the widest array of books to the most discerning readers, while also providing an opportunity for education to those less well read. The difference between Island Books and McLean and Eakin and their less successful competitors is the quality of the staff.
Regardless of what I might be looking for, and I rarely have to buy books any more, I know there are folks at either location, such as manager Tamara at Island Books, or my former student Katie at McLean and Eakin, who can both suggest interesting reads and help me find something I might have already zeroed in on.
When I was a student in Ann Arobr I frequented the flagship Borders location on State Street. When it opened, the store generated a buzz because of its size and its determination to provide an unlimited array of choices for the largest possible audience. Borders has, unfortunately, fallen victim to the culture of corporate anemia. Their bottom line became more important than their lofty mission. Just down the street from Borders was Shaman Drum, which was actually more like a neighborhood bookstore should be; a bit smaller, more compact, more ready to adapt when necessary.
This ability to adapt is what has kept Island Books and McLean and Eakin in business and prospering. There are no coffee bars in these stores, no internet cafes where pseudo intellectuals can be seen working on their great works, or where they can hang out all day, being seen but doing nothing.
If you want books and an informed bookstore staff, visit McLean and Eakin in Petoskey or The Island Bookstore on Mackinac Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment